Quilted Holiday Celtic Hanging
The Quilted Holiday Celtic Wall Hanging Class is given at our Escondido/ San Marcos quilt store. You can personalize your quilt by purchasing fabric at the store or one of our quilting kits designed just for the class project. Class Calendar
By: Barbara Thomas
This unique quilted holiday wall hanging will wow your family. Dating back to the Book of Kells in 806 AD these Celtic designs were used to decorate the Gospels. Please add your borders and pop of color micro border to your background before class.
You will start the quilting class by tracing a template that we provide onto your background material. Then move on to making the bias tapes and arranging the Celtic ribbon pattern using your tracing and a our store sample . You will glue the ribbons down with Roxanne's Glue Baste It and then stitch it down.
We will make the "sandwich" (top, batting & backing) and stitch down the bias strips. This provides some of the quilting, then you square up and bind your quilted wall hanging.
Quilt Fabric Required
- 3/4 yards for the background
- 1/2 yard of black for bias and micro-border
- 2 fat quarters of green and red for bias strips
- 1/2 yard for star inserts
- 1 yard of red flowers - 6-1/2" outer border
- 1-1/4 yard of material for the back
- background - 27" X 31"
- micro-border - 1" strips
- outer-border - 6-1/2" strips
- 45 degree bias strips will be cut in class
Quilt micro border
- Mark 1/2" down middle of micro strips.
- Place marked strip on edge of background fabric.
- Stitch ON 1/2 inch line. Press microstrip to edge of fabric.
- Repeat for other three sides.
Quilt outer borders:
- Fold one 4 1/2" border strip in half. for the top and bottom borders, lay across the middle of the background to get proper length.
- Trim even with the edges of the background piece.
- Stitch trimmed borders to top and bottom, using 1/4 inch seam.
- Press seams towards the borders.
- Repeat process with two remaining borders, again laying the border strips across the middle, long side to long side.
Assemble Before Class
- Please piece together your quilt top before class.
- Sewing machine in good working order.
- Thread to match bias strip
- 6.5″ x 24.5 ” ruler.
- Rotary cutter with new blade.
- Clover Bias Tape Maker: 9 MM( 3/8").
- Roxanne's Glue-Baste-It.
- a soft fuse sheet for appliques